Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Need Some Inspiration? Here Are A Few Tips




Whenever I need some inspiration, the first thing I do is go to the internet to search for tips. Throughout my time blogging and just online in general, I've picked up a few things I want to share and these things have made me not only become productive in blogging, but also productive in normal everyday tasks. I’m more thoughtful than I used to be.

What are those small things I’m talking about?


  • Creativity. This is important not only for productivity, but also for inspiration. For example, one person might see a bowl of fruit sitting on a table. Another may see what they could do with that bowl of fruit. That’s where creativity comes into play. It’s being able to see outside of the box. I took a creativity course at Coursera and was shocked by how much my creativity was being put to waste.

  • Planning. This may seem like something designated just for type A people, but if you ask a group full of successful people, they’ll say they couldn’t have gotten where there are now with out some type of plan set in place. This is especially important to bloggers.

  • Help. Ok, let me be more specific, a lot of times we think that we can take everything on ourselves and fail to notice sometimes one really important fact; sometimes you NEED help. Help is almost a necessity when it comes to productivity. Sometimes you can get things done ten times faster with help than if you’d done it by yourself. Some of you might say, I can’t afford to hire someone to help me. Well, my fellow bloggers, if you haven’t heard of Coschedule by now, you should REALLY check them out. They cut the majority of your time in half for you; it’s a Godsend and it’s relatively cheap.

 Now that we’ve gotten productivity and the reason why I just started noticing these things in the first place out of the way, lets talk about inspiration… the reason for this post.


One of the hardest things when blogging for a long time, as any blogger will tell you is to find inspiration for your next blog post. It’s very easy to start typing away once you’ve thought of a topic, but actually coming up with a topic…. Forgot about it. It’s not that there isn’t anything to talk about, it’s just that after a certain amount of time coming up with these topics, you’ve seemingly exhausted all of the ideas that you started out with and there is a period of time where you feel stifled.


Don’t get discouraged though because there are things you can do to reignite that creative spark in you.


That is the main reason for this post. I’m going to give you some tips that I’ve found very useful when looking for inspiration.

  1. Music- when you play a song, it triggers emotions in you, whether that is happiness, sadness, anger, or excitement. Emotion is a crucial component of inspiration.

  2. Use a concept bubble – You remember those little round circles you used to draw on your paper in grade school that had even more little bubbles extending from the original?( if you don’t know what that is click here. ) This is an invaluable tool for any creative person.

  3. Keep a notebook – this isn’t an entirely new concept and I know that a lot of other bloggers have blogged about it, but I’m going to talk about it too. Keeping a notebook nearby is a great way to jot down ideas when inspiration strikes, because the majority of the time, it strikes at inopportune moments.

  4. Observe your peers – Whatever thing your seeking inspiration for, chances are there is someone out there who is a master at this particular thing and not only will you learn from their genius, but you’ll draw inspiration from what they’ve done.
Those are my tips, and hopefully you find them useful and maybe even draw inspiration from them. Inspiration can be found any and everywhere, all you have to do is stop and take notice of them.

 Let me know what you think of this post below! Where do you draw inspiration? What do you do when you feel creatively stifled?

15 comments:

  1. Dana Brillante-PellerMarch 11, 2015 at 5:39 AM

    Coursera is great...they offer some interesting classes! I also keep a notebook handy in case something sparks an idea!


    www.pellerini.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just clicked on that course and noticed it's free, that's awesome! I'll check it out, thanks for the tip Channing :D

    Gosh do I hear you on the music. I find I need music that I have no memories attached to. I can get too caught up nostalgia when I'm working and it's distracting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great suggestions! Carrying a notebook is huge for me - those ideas for great posts or projects disappear from my brain so fast if I don't jot them down! I might have to check out that creativity course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of creating a concept bubble. I will look into that. Observing peers are really great idea too.

    :] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for these tips, it's always good to keep learning! :)

    http://lazypenguins.com/worlds-most-expensive-red-wines/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi dana! yes, it is great! Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No problem! I forgot to mention that it is free, thanks for reminding me of that, I'm gonna add that now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Crystal! I do think it's worth checking out, and even if you don't have the time to take the whole course, taking just a few lessons from it would still be really beneficial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carmen! Concept bubbles have been the best solution for me when I have writer's block and I love improving myself by looking at what other bloggers do. Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for these tips! Really helpful :)

    http://storybookapothecary.com ♥ stop by and chat with me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your suggestions. I had no idea what a concept bubble was. What a great way to focus.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Mariet! I remember learning about it in school, but completely forgot about it until I took a course from Coursera on creativity. I know it may seem a little silly, but a creativity course is really helpful especially when you've got writer's block! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Recent

Random