Monday, May 4, 2015

Bread & Butter By: Founder Of BabyCakes NYC (A Cookbook Review)


If you've been following my blog, then you probably know that I'm obsessed with cookbooks right now. I just received my new cookbook in the mail last week and I couldn't wait to try it! It's called Bread & Butter and it's a gluten free, vegan cookbook so if any of those are requirements for your diet, then your in luck!



This book is by Erin McKenna who is the founder of BabyCakes NYC. Erin's first section is called Ingredient Assistance and it gives you the basics you need when understanding vegan & gluten free baking. Being the amateur that I am when it comes to gluten free and vegan foods, this section is very important to me. I really want to make a more conscious effort to try new recipes that are out of my comfort zone.

There's also a little side note which is a sort of guide to swapping flours. When you reach the section title "The Help Desk," make sure to follow it closely because it answers a lot of questions that you will probably have if your new to this way of baking.

Let's get on to the recipes shall we? I found quite a lot that I love and I wanted to share some of my favorites with you, However there are much more in this book to choose from.

Strawberry- Lemon Zest Bagels




I'm a big fan of bagels but not just any bagels, they have to have a specific taste. I usually like my bagels to be fruity in flavor. I'm just weird that way lol ;)



Roasted Vegetable Pizza



Sticky Pecan Rolls



Of course I couldn't leave out the dessert section!

Cucumber Tea Sandwich



This last recipe is the one I tried to replicate myself and I'm so happy with the way they turned out! It was simple yet elegant. Perfect for brunch or lunch! This recipe calls for a top and bottom to the sandwich but I chose to leave off the top piece of bread because I wanted to taste more of the flavors. If you want to try it out yourself, I'll leave the recipe below. Here is how it turned out:



A lot of these recipes hinge upon the recipes for bread and pastries in this book because everything in this book is made from scratch. Like I said they're all vegan and gluten free so the ingredients are a little difficult to find, but if your not able to find them I'm sure it would be perfectly fine to, say for example, substitute vegan sugar with regular sugar.

Cucumber Tea Sandwich


Author: Erin Mckenna


Ingredients


  • 1 English Cucumber, peeled and shaved into ribbons

  • Salt

  • 4 Tablespoons (56 grams) Vegan butter, softened

  • 8 slices Sandwich Bread ( I'll provide a separate recipe for that)

  • 1 1/2 teaspoons snipped fresh dill

  • Freshly ground black pepper

  • For the Sandwich Bread:

  • 2 teaspoons melted unscented coconut oil, plus more for the pan

  • 2 1/4 cups (508 grams) warm water (about 100 degrees F)

  • 2 1/2 tablespoons (55 grams) agave nectar

  • 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

  • 1 cup (192 grams) potato starch

  • 1 cup (100 grams) gluten-free oat flour

  • 3/4 cup (90 grams) millet flour

  • 1/2 cup (60 grams) arrowroot

  • 1 teaspoon baking powder

  • 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum

  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt



Instructions



  1. In a medium bowl, sprinkle the cucumber ribbons lightly with salt, toss gently, and set aside.

  2. Spread a spoonful of butter on one side of each slice of bread and fold a quarter of the cucumber in layers on one slice

  3. Place some of the dill on top of the cucumber and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

  4. Place the other slice of bread on top, remove the crusts with a knife, and quarter the sandwich into equal squares.

  5. Continue until all the sandwiches are assembled.

  6. For the Sandwich Bread:

  7. Lightly grease a 7 by 4 by 3-inch loaf pan with oil.

  8. In a small bowl, combine the coconut oil, warm water, agave nectar, and yeast. Stir once and set aside until it bubbles, about 10 minutes.

  9. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the potato starch, flours, arrowroot, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt.

  10. Add the yeast mixture and, using a rubber spatula, stir until it is the consistency of a cake batter.

  11. Add more warm water one splash at a time if the batter is too thick.

  12. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, cover with a dishtowel, and let rise for 1 hour.

  13. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

  14. Bake the bread for 20 minutes.

  15. Rotate the pan 180 degrees and bake until the crust is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 15 minutes.

  16. Let the bread cool in the pan for 1 hour before slicing.






Would you try these recipes? Which one of these is your favorite?



**This is a Sponsored Post**

I received this book from blogging for books, in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are mine and mine alone. 

8 comments:

  1. I would try the sticky pecan rolls and shortbread cookie. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great cookbook, would love to try some of those yummy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a cool cookbook. I just got my first book from blogging for books so I'm reading through it now. I need to remember to add cookbooks to my list. The cucumber tea sandwiches look really good. I love cucumbers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is! I love that it's gluten free and vegan too so anyone can enjoy these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so good Lisa! I usually don't like cucumber, but these were so delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you picked this one up! I was curious about it! :] Those sandwiches (and everything else!) look super good! :] I don't usually get cucumber at the store (not really sure why :x ), but I need to try making that! :]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was surprised how good they were because I usually don't like cucumbers! Good to hear from you Farrah! Hope your doing well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Recent

Random