Tuesday, December 8, 2015

3 Christmas Cookie Ideas For The Holidays

Wow! Christmas is LITERALLY right around the corner & that means it's time for Christmas cookies!

If you're like me and this year went by to fast for you, then you're probably just as shocked as me to know that Christmas will be here soon. Which means less time to shop and less time in general for other things. Cookie swapping is a nice tradition that a lot of us partake in this time of year and it's a nice way of saying I appreciate you.

I give out cookies to people I love and care about regardless of a cookie swap because I want to show them how much they mean to me and nothing is more genuine, from me, than a freshly baked cookie because I pour my heart into baking. I carefully plan out what I'm going to make and for who and I spend hours, sweating it out in a hot kitchen trying to make the perfect treat.

I know I'm probably not the first person to share their cookie recipe since the start of this holiday season, but I thought I would put my two cents in as well!



For the first cookie I went with an Iced Star Sugar cookie, which was a pretty obvious choice given that iced sugar cookies are pretty popular this time of year. Actually, this was supposed to be a snowflake instead of a star, but the cookie cutter I used obviously didn't produce the results I'd hoped for. :(

For the second cookie, I used my favorite holiday drink as the foundation for this cookie. Egg nog is not your typical fave holiday drink and actually A LOT of people really don't like it, however I really do. It's definitely an indulgent drink and in my opinion is not meant to be drunk regularly. If you don't like egg nog, then following along the lines of holiday drinks, you could do the traditional hot cocoa or and apple cider version.

Last but not least is the Salted Caramel cookie. This one was definitely my favorite and you can never go wrong with a dessert that has the words salted and caramel in it's name. Fun fact (if you didn't already know) : salt brings out the sweetness of a dessert really well, so even though I already had salted caramel in these cookies I added a little extra sea salt on top just to really bring it home.


Iced Sugar Cookie Recipe


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup vegetable shortening


  • 1 cup white sugar


  • 1/4 cup milk


  • 2 eggs


  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract


  • 3 cups all-purpose flour

  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/4 cup butter

  • 3 cups confectioners' sugar

  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, or more to taste

  • 2 tablespoons milk, or as needed

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

  • Beat vegetable shortening, white sugar, 1/4 cup milk, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract together in a bowl. Whisk flour, salt, and baking soda in a separate bowl. Slowly beat flour mixture into shortening mixture to make a smooth dough.

  • Roll dough out 1/4-inch thick on a floured work surface and cut into shapes. Arrange cookies on baking sheets.

  • Bake in the preheated oven until cookies are firm, about 10 minutes. Let cool.

  • Beat butter, confectioners' sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 2 tablespoons milk in a bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until frosting is spreadable and slightly fluffy. You can also add any food coloring you want. Frost cooled cookies.

Source: All Recipes


Egg Nog Cookies Recipe


Ingredients:

  • 1 1/4 cups white sugar


  • 3/4 cup butter, softened

  • 1/2 cup eggnog

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 2 egg yolks

  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

  • 1 teaspoon baking powder

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).

  • Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.

  • Cream sugar and butter until light. Add eggnog, vanilla, and egg yolks; beat at medium speed with mixer until smooth. Add flour mixture and beat at low speed until just combined. Do not overmix.

  • Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet 1 inch apart. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg. Bake 20 to 23 minutes until bottoms turn light brown.

  • *Optional - I added green sprinkles for a festive little touch

Source: All Recipes


Salted Caramel Cookies Recipe


Ingredients:

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour


  • 1 teaspoon baking soda


  • 1 teaspoon coarse salt


  • 1 3/4 cups brown sugar

  • 1/4 cup white sugar

  • 2 eggs

  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

  • 2 cups chocolate chips

  • 18 unwrapped caramel candies (such as Werther's®), each cut into 6 pieces

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

  • Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.

  • Beat brown sugar, butter, and white sugar together in a bowl using an electric mixer until creamy. Beat eggs, 1 at a time, into butter mixture until blended; beat in vanilla extract. Stir flour mixture into butter mixture until dough is just combined; fold in chocolate chips.

  • Divide dough into thirty six 2 tablespoon-size balls; arrange on a baking sheet. Press 3 caramel pieces into each dough ball.

  • Bake in the preheated oven until edges are golden brown, 13 to 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.

  • *Optional - Sprinkle a dash of sea salt

Source: All Recipes

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and let me know below if you participate in a cookie swap and if so, what is your go to cookie?

16 comments:

  1. Great recipes! Those salted caramel cookies sound amazing :)

    Lotté | www.lottebeautybox.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. they all look really good but the salted caramel! yum!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all look amazing! Nothing better than Christmas cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all look and sound so amazing! The little guy is doing an exchange at school next week so I need to make some this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm obsessed with cookies this time of year! So cliche of me lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. They were, I may have eaten almost all of them by myself lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sugar are my favorite this time of year! These look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never participated in a cookie swap, but that sounds so fun! Your cookies look good too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! Any excuse to bake and I will lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These cookies look amazing! I especially love the idea of salted caramel cookies, I NEED to try these!


    Sian xx Cakey Dreamer

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Recent

Random