Thursday, March 31, 2016

How To Get Instagram Worthy Nails At Home!

If you're like me, you might spend a least an hour a day on Instagram. I feel serious FOMO when I don't check it at least a couple of times throughout the day. It's a real problem, but that's a whole other conversation for a different day.

My favorite Instagram content is from bloggers and vloggers whose content truly speaks to me but a good majority is mindless, aesthetically pleasing pics of food and beauty related inspo. Hair tutorials, makeup tips, nail inspiration and so on.

When I first saw an insta with stiletto nails, I was in awe of how beautiful they were. I admired their beauty and thought they wouldn't be attainable. They're ultra feminine and cute but let's be real, they're not practical for everyday life. Trying to type on your keyboard or buttons your jeans would be almost impossible.

The stiletto nails I'm going to show you how to do today are more understated and much more practical for everyday life.

Being on a budget (which is very often for me), everything I do in my life has to be affordable and I've had to go the DIY route more times than none. I can't just go around willy-nilly, wasting money on things I could do for myself. So, just like my battles, I pick and choose what to splurge on and what to save on and my nails fall under the save category.

After much trial and error, I've found a way to do my nails on the cheap while making them still appear to be nail salon quality. I'm sharing this with you in the hopes that I can save you a little bit of extra money while keeping everything Instagram worthy.

If you follow my instructions exactly, you will end up with great looking nails where I promise you, you will end up getting compliments left and right. I'm not even being boastful or narcissistic. I really have gotten tons of compliments on my nails and people are surprised when I tell them I do them myself.

Before we get started, just a little information to keep in mind.....

You should know that I've had no formal training or expertise in the beauty field and the techniques I'm going to show you are self-taught and completely beginner level, so don't be intimidated. It will cost you just under $10 bucks and with the products I'm going to be highlighting here, you will be able to replicate the look again for even less than that.

Yes, it is possible!

Before We Start, You Will Need.....


Make sure you have all of the following items as they will be crucial to achieving the right outcome:

  • Nail file of some sort ( or emory board if you will)

  • Nail clippers

  • Nail glue - any brand of your choosing, but I like the KISS Maximum Speed Glue

  • Set of different size nail tips-  the best and cheapest ones can be found here.

  • Nail polish of your choosing.



Having everything close by when you're ready to start will make things so much easier for you.

Step 1.


Whatever route you choose to go with in regards to nail tips, before you can even begin cutting and shaping them, you'll need to size your fake nails to fit your real ones.

Start with the index finger on one hand.

Find the correct size for that finger and then place the nail tips in order on the surface you're working on as you go along sizing them one at a time (Placing them in order makes it easier for you to know which nail tip goes on which finger).


Please excuse the way my nails look! That's what constant wear and tear on them will get you. :P

Once you're done sizing each nail and have them neatly placed on your workspace, it's now time to work on the technique for getting those stiletto nails!

Step 2.


Starting with the index finger again, pick up the nail tip that you sized for that finger (we are now getting ready to clip parts of them).

With the nails clippers in hand, place the clippers at an angle on the outer corner of the nail tip (as seen in the image below).

Once you feel you've angled it correctly, go ahead and clip that little edge from the nail tip (don't worry if the edges look a little rough, we'll fix that later).



Repeat what you just did on the right to the left side now ( as shown in the picture below).

You will know that you've done it correctly if it comes out in a v shape.



After you're done with the nail tip that's going on your index finger, finish doing the other nail tips for the other fingers, but make sure not to move them out of place because we're not done yet!

Step 3.


Once we've finished cutting the edges off of all the nail tips for each finger, the next thing you will need is your nail file.

It's important to smooth out the rough edges on all the nail tips before applying or else they will look very amateurish.

After you've finished buffing out all the rough edges for each nail tip, then we're almost done!



Now that we're finished with filing all the nail tips, the next step is to glue them on!

Last Step!


When gluing on your nails, I've found that the most efficient way to glue them on is to pour a little drop in the middle of the nail.

It seriously helps the glue to last longer and prevents the glue from caking up on the bottom of the nail!

After you place your glue on one nail, with an even hand you want to slowly align the nail tip with your natural nail and the press down firmly for about 30 seconds. If you use the KISS glue, it will dry very quickly!



Once you're done gluing on both hands, you're pretty much through!  It may take a couple of tries to get it just right, but as soon as you do, you'll find it so easy that you won't even have to think about it!

You can have a look at the picture below to see how it's supposed to look!




As far as painting your nails, it's really up to you what color you decided to paint them, but I used Klean Colors pastel purple polish and I finished the look with a coat of wet n' wild's wildshine matte top coat.

Wet N' Wild has really stepped up the nail game. I'm obsessed with their matte top coat because I feel it makes certain polishes really stand out! My second favorite from their range is the megalast polish in the color ballet pink. It's a beautiful subtle pink color. I'm not even being sponsored to say this, these are all things I went and bought!

Here's the final look nail polish and all.





I hope you found this tutorial somewhat easy! This is my first time doing a sort of how to post and I'm planning on doing many more. If you try out this look, please come back and let me know how it turned out in the comments!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Recent

Random