**Edit: Keeping with this week's theme of throwbacks, I thought I would "resurrect" this old post I did on red velvet cake. It's from earlier this year. I hope you enjoy! **
I love this cake anytime of the year, but I think we mostly see this as a Christmas dessert. Yes? No?
The color red though, makes this, in my opinion, easily interchangeable with Valentine’s Day and given that Valentine’s Day is just around the corner (6 days to be exact), I think Red Velvet Cake is a perfect thing to make to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Or chocolate. You could always go that route, either way I won’t judge you.
My favorite part about Red Velvet Cake is the cream cheese frosting. I’m kind of obsessed with cream cheese and the recipe I’m going to share with you features a cream cheese frosting with pecans. It’s a recipe that has been passed down from my grandmother.
The recipe for this delicious cake is below. Let me know what your favorite Valentine’s Day treat is in the comments below!
As always thanks for reading!
Red Velvet Cake
Recipe Type: Dessert
Decadent, Rich, Classic Red Velvet Cake with cream cheese frosting and pecans.
- 2 1/2 cups Self Rising Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1 cup Canola Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Cocoa
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- Red Food Coloring (as desired)
- [For Frosting]
- 1 box white powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pkg of cream cheese
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Mix all the ingredients together; Grease a 9x9 inch pan with butter (or crisco) to keep the cake from sticking.
- Pour the mixture into cake pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees till cake begins to brown a little on top, then turn the top of the oven on and brown cake on top.
- When brown, take out of the oven and set aside.
- Then carefully turn cake over onto a plate and let cool before frosting.
- For the frosting - mix all the ingredients together and frost cake when cake is cool. Enjoy!