Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Red Velvet Cake Recipe

 

 

Red Velvet Cake 2 edited

 

**Edit: Keeping with this week's theme of throwbacks, I thought I would "resurrect" this old post I did on red velvet cake. It's from earlier this year. I hope you enjoy! **

I love this cake anytime of the year, but I think we mostly see this as a Christmas dessert. Yes? No?

The color red though, makes this, in my opinion, easily interchangeable with Valentine’s Day and given that Valentine’s Day is just around the corner (6 days to be exact), I think Red Velvet Cake is a perfect thing to make to satisfy your sweet tooth.

Or chocolate. You could always go that route, either way I won’t judge you.

 

My favorite part about Red Velvet Cake is the cream cheese frosting. I’m kind of obsessed with cream cheese and the recipe I’m going to share with you features a cream cheese frosting with pecans. It’s a recipe that has been passed down from my grandmother.

 

The recipe for this delicious cake is below. Let me know what your favorite Valentine’s Day treat is in the comments below!

 

As always thanks for reading!

Red Velvet Cake


Recipe Type: Dessert

Author: Channing

Decadent, Rich, Classic Red Velvet Cake with cream cheese frosting and pecans.


Ingredients


  • 2 1/2 cups Self Rising Flour

  • 1 1/2 cups Sugar

  • 1 cup Canola Oil

  • 2 Eggs

  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract

  • 1 tsp Cocoa

  • 1 cup Buttermilk

  • Red Food Coloring (as desired)

  • [For Frosting]

  • 1 box white powdered sugar

  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

  • 1 pkg of cream cheese

  • 1 stick of butter

  • 1 cup chopped pecans




Instructions



  1. Mix all the ingredients together; Grease a 9x9 inch pan with butter (or crisco) to keep the cake from sticking.

  2. Pour the mixture into cake pans.

  3. Bake at 325 degrees till cake begins to brown a little on top, then turn the top of the oven on and brown cake on top.

  4. When brown, take out of the oven and set aside.

  5. Then carefully turn cake over onto a plate and let cool before frosting.

  6. For the frosting - mix all the ingredients together and frost cake when cake is cool. Enjoy!







Photo Credit: <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/37996582271@N01/14823735858/">Frankenstein</a> via <a href="http://compfight.com">Compfight</a> <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/">cc</a>

19 comments:

  1. Yummmm for Red Velvet! I don't see it as a Christmas Dessert but something that is enjoyable EVERYDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So decadent, looks amazing, Channing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jessica! Happy Tuesday to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks super easy! Thanks so much for sharing. I never have thought of red velvet as a Christmas cake--it's a year-round cake! ;)

    Chloe | Wanderlust in the Midwest

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a sucker for anything Red Velvet. This will definitely be tried out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Chloe! I guess I have always seen it as a Christmas cake, because that's the only time my grandmother made it. Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Katie! So am I!! Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing!! I love red velvet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! And Thanks for stopping by! I hope to hear more from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been wanting to try this recipe for a loooong time. This looks delish! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Pamela! Hope it works out! Happy Sunday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're much welcome! I think I'll either make a post on my blog when I do it or on Instagram, if you fancy. (Www.BitchinPam.Com) Happy Sunday to you too! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great recipe! I've never tried to make red velvet before but this looks fairly easy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks sooo good. Definitely have to try it out for the next occasion that comes along.

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUM!! I love Red Velvet

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete

Recent

>recentposts

Random

>randomposts