Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Vegan 5 Ingredient Flourless Brownies

Ever since spring has hit, I've been super focused on getting healthy and fit. I know, I know....how cliche of me lol.

I've been exercising every day for at least 30 mins & eating "healthy" foods. That's been the number one reason for changing my eating habits, but I also was motivated for another reason.

Recently, I've felt like the universe has been sending me signals (I'm not crazy, I promise) in the way of videos and social media content talking about animal abuse. One in particular that stood out to me was a sweet little dog named baby who was abused by a sick person.

I was torn because I sort of wished I hadn't seen the video, but also I think it needs to be seen so these individuals can be put to justice. If you have a little bit of time, I would appreciate if you would sign this petition.

Long story short, I've been more conscious of the foods I eat & I want to attempt to go the vegan route which is why I wanted to share this vegan brownie recipe with you and even if you're not trying to go vegan, it's a super healthy recipe for getting into shape.






This was my first time really trying out a vegan recipe and I have to say, it took A LOT of trial and error to get it right. The original recipe which can be found here, had only three ingredients and while it might work and be easy for some people, I found that I had to make some tweaks of my own to get it to the taste that I like.

If you're like me and love sweets, the original recipe won't be sweet enough for you, but with a couple additions, I think it's totally doable.

Last year, I made these brownies which are what inspired me to try out the vegan version.





Another thing I definitely want to stress is that before you get started, make sure you have some sort of nonstick spray or vegan butter because I didn't and those puppies stuck like cement!

***Update: Please Read***


Given that this is my first time experimenting with vegan recipes and veganism itself, I'm still learning what is and is not considered vegan. After reading a comment from a reader, I've found out that my addition of honey is not correct in keeping with vegan standards, so if you want 100% vegan, just leave out the honey and thanks to Jenny, I now know that you can substitute with flax or chia "egg" which is 1 TBSP ground flax or chia and 3 TBSP of water mixed. Once left it becomes a thick gel and it great for binding. Sorry for the misinformation!



Without any further ado, here's that recipe!

Vegan 5 Ingredient Flourless Brownies


Recipe Type: Dessert

An easy & cheap flourless vegan brownie recipe.


Ingredients


  • 3 medium, bananas (the recipe calls for overripe, but I found that mashing them down with a fork in a bowl did just as good)

  • 1/2 cup smooth almond butter, (or any other smooth nut butter)

  • 2 tbps - 1/4 cup cocoa powder (darker cocoa taste's better)

  • 1/4 cup Stevia in the raw

  • 3 tbsp Honey (I've found that it acts as a great glue for holding the ingredients together)



Instructions



  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

  2. Grease a 9x9 inch glass baking dish or small cake pan or loaf pan and set aside.

  3. In the microwave (I found this to be the quickest & easiest) melt the nut butter for about a min.

  4. In a large mixing bowl, add the bananas, nut butter, cocoa powder, stevia and honey (make sure you mix well. I used my food processor to mix it together really well.)

  5. Pour the mixture into the greased dish or pan and bake for 20 minutes (depending on how fast or slow your oven cooks.)

  6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before slicing into pieces.








Let me know if you try out this recipe and in the comments, tell me your favorite healthy dessert recipe!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent

>recentposts

Random

>randomposts